ABOUT USAbout Consumer Council of Zimbabwe
The Consumer Council of Zimbabwe has its origins deeply rooted in the great and noble cause of protecting and empowering consumers by monitoring product quality and service to ensure total adherence to reasonably accepted standards.
It all began in 1955 when the first positive steps were taken to institute the formation of the vigilance commitee, aimed at meeting protective needs of the consumer and to produce better understanding between producers and consumers.
It was in 1975 when this committee was merged to form the present day Consumer Council Zimbabwe. Over the years the organisation has expanded its membership base and restructured its policies to meet the needs of today’s consumers. Our Mission and Vision clearly defines our responsibility to the consumer in regard to all essential economic issues.
CCZ is a membership driven organisation and we rely on your membership for us to tick. As an organisation we are better heard in our numbers than as individuals, so go ahead and get in touch with any CCZ offices near you to learn more
As Consumer Council of Zimbabwe we shall strive for a fair deal for our consumers within the marketplace.
- Transparency and accountability
- Responsibility and discipline
- Assertiveness and commitment
The Consumer Council of Zimbabwe has scored many successes to date. CCZ has successfully lobbied for specific consumer legislation in Zimbabwe, such as:
- Small Claims Court Act, 1992 – mostly accessible to low income and middle income groups who can not afford legal representation.
- Consumer Contract Act, 1994 – which protects consumers against unfair contracts.
- Patients Charter- which seeks to create an environment of mutual understanding, participation and humane treatment of patients.
- Competition Act, 1996 – encourages and promotes fair competition in all sectors of the economy.
- Class Action Act, Chapter 8:17 -which makes provision for consumers to jointly seek legal redress.
- The Council conducts surveys on various products and services, thus providing research based information and also unearthing business malpractices. In its efforts to watch the price trends, the CCZ also conduct monthly shopping baskets which are made available to our members.